Friday, October 02, 2009

Revisiting an Article That Panned the Zorn Hire Back in 2008

Not only did Tim Kawakami pan the hiring of Zorn; he thought it was one of the most dumb football decisions ever. He wrote his piece just after Zorn was hired.

I thought I would revisit his article as the Skins slide.

Some tidbits:
It’s OK to hire a head coach without previous play-calling/coordinating experience–Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, John Madden, Jon Gruden (I think) hadn’t yet been coordinators when they were hired as head coaches. The difference: They were all universally believed to be capable of coordinating and on the path to head-coach land.

Not Zorn. Nobody thought that. Whatever nice things they’re saying in Seattle, I can tell you, privately they were not saying those things about Zorn before he left.

I talked to Zorn when he was first getting into coaching on the Seahawks staff and I can tell you that, if first impressions mean anything–and they do–I walked away from that interview thinking, This guy shouldn’t be anywhere near an NFL sideline...
Zorn is the worst: Least prepared, worst communicator, most obvious risk for total failure, right from Day 1.
This one is on the shoulders of Danny and Vinny. Zorn seems like a nice guy but even a reporter who met him once had a more informed view of his limits than did the Skins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home