Sunday, December 10, 2006

Atlanta Game Blog

My dear friend Mary took me to the Atlanta game and scored club seats. We were fat and happy as the Skins took a 14-0 lead despite the fact that Dan Snyder has taken all of the good beer from the club level. I mean, if you are paying about $500 a seat can't you at least get a decent ale? Not anymore, as all of the decent microbrews they had, which were still a far walk from most seats, have vanished and been replaced by Michelob. We did discover that you can get Bass Ale delivered in your seats, and did partake of that. I think my best financial decision of my life was not to renew my club seats this year.

But what went wrong with the Skins after the 14-0 lead that looked like a slaughter? Everyone blames the play calling on our third drive but I blame our run defense. I mean, if Betts, who is a total stud, runs for 155 yards and you have a 14 point lead how do you blow it? Ask Gregg Williams, whose D let Atlanta run for 256 yards. We watched it and it was awful. Not to obsess on the ESPN article, but it did note the lame predictability of our D:
"Gregg Williams, I don't understand. They're so arrogant around here, they think they can stop the run in Cover 2. When it's an obvious running down, he calls Cover 2. That's a seven-man front. They're going to get 4 yards a carry every time. There might be some games where, hey, we're playing the crap out of the run in Cover 2. Well, that's great. Then, you call it. But when you're getting gashed Cover 2, Cover 2, and they come out in two tight ends, two running backs, and one wide receiver and we're in Cover 2. … And if we don't call Cover 2, we blitz. And you live by the blitz, you die by the blitz."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home